Friday, August 7, 2009

Week One!

Its turning into quite an adventure out here! The other night there was a full moon, and our telugu teacher told us that we all had to go to the beach and see how beautiful it was with the moonlight on the water and the especially strong waves. Naturally, we all trooped down to the beach, which apparently is frequently used as a trash can and occasionally as a toilet. We were able to find a nice stretch of clean beach eventually though, and most of us went at least part-way in. I only went in up to my knees, but got splashed up above my waist! I still can't believe how warm the water is, or how strong the current is. Classes and research work have been keeping me pretty busy, no doubt about it. But I love the people, they are all SUPER friendly and happy, and want to give you things and help you with anything at all. I was at the church building the other night, thats where we hang out whenever possible because its air conditioned and has super powerful western toilets, and I beat a couple of the members at ping pong! It was really fun, and now I feel more of a connection to them. The men seem a little less intimidating after playing ping-pong and seeing them get happy and sad over a game just like I do, and the women were just excited to meet another girl who likes to play ping pong! I saw a monkey the other day just wandering around on the rooftops of the main street, that was pretty crazy. At the moment I am waiting for the tailor to bring me finished outfits, made from the fabric I went and bought on Monday. It rained for a tiny bit today, maybe 5 minutes tops. But what rain! It sounded like somebody was dumping a barrel over the side of a building it was coming down so hard and fast! And right afterwords it felt gloriously cool, a fabulous relief from the constant heat and humidity. Thats all for now!

No comments: